With 300+ movies reviewed this year, reducing to a top ten is not an easy task. Leading up to the New Year there follows, in stages, my favourite movies of a busy year. No national bias, no favouring a particular style, only those ten animations that struck a chord. A number failed to make the final shake-up to the top ten however through no fault of theirs. The failing is entirely mine.
In strictly alphabetical order....
- A Sheep on the Roof - quirky, whimsical, beautifully drawn, funny, sad
- Boy and Girl - such romantic artistry, tempered by realism from a great director
- Good Vibrations - another great director making his point with an engaging comic touch
- Love Recipe - I simply had to choose a Supinfocom movie; this won for slickness and timing
- Milovan Circus - modern puppetry at its best, sad and magical
- Run of the Mill - I wish I had a better copy of the great man's educational video warning of the dangers of drugs
- The Last Knit - as No 1 above but miss out the sadness
- The Little Drummer Boy - loved song, technique and that true sense of Christmas with the family
- The Man with the Beautiful Eyes - there is still something cutting edge in the marriage of words and images
- Voyage To Next - an animation chosen because it represents an age where hope reigned above cynicism
Tomorrow I dip into the top ten.